Monday, March 7, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: On Pamela Huntington

 

HUNTINGTON1 (2)

Faculty Name:
  Pamela Huntington

Current Residence: Connecticut

Necessary Job:   Freelance Digital Graphic Designer and Artisan

How long have you been doing art?
I have had the rare privilege of being surrounded by artists all my life, one grandmother owned an atelier designing and making wedding dresses and trousseau's for the bride as well as dressing the entire wedding party. My own clothes were her couture designs.. velvet snowsuits and tulle and taffeta dresses.  My memories of sitting in the midst of satins and laces with a doll to dress always make me smile.... oh to be there again.  My other grandmother was an amazing musician, but her passion in life was in collecting the old and precious.  Her home, filled with music was part theater, part museum and very magical... fairy land to me  She would always be certain I had one of her china dolls to use for dressing in the satins and lace.... there has never been a time when art was not a part of my life in one medium or another.

At what age did you begin creating and why?
This question is pretty much answered above, but I definitely remember being  quite thrilled with my first box of crayons and all the amazing colors and things you could do with them... I loved to color paper dolls and my cousin and I would sit for hours designing and coloring our own paper dolls.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."
Pablo Picasso...

What is your favorite part of teaching?
Proust said "the voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes"   My favorite part of teaching is going on this journey of discovery with my students.  I like to design and present projects which showcases each individuals own special talent and vision. And ideally each student will feel they have gained a valuable tool or skill to add to their creative life. Each person I meet in this endeavor brings "new eyes" to me as they
share their time and talents. .

“Creativity is contagious. Pass it on.” — Albert Einstein

What do you find most challenging about teaching?
Leaving my dog and my home....

What do you like to do in your spare time? 
I don't know whose quote this is .. but

“It barely matters what you do in your spare time; how you utilize your used moments is the subject matter to be considered.”  

I have no spare time... but, do like a moment now and then to read a book, pet a dog or meditate.  Sometimes after a walk I will stand in front of my house ..and just breath the amazing wonder of it all.

What is your favorite type of art medium?  
Probably my hands.... and heart... I can use my hands to make anything!

Who is your favorite artist?
Every painter, poet and writer, singer who ever bravely put forth a piece of work for the world...do I love every piece, no, but ,I love everyone who has tried!

What is one interesting (trivial) fact that everyone should know about you?
I am very .... Ordinary

Attach your favorite image and detail why it is your favorite.
This is a piece I recently created... for a class sample.. it does make me smile..
"The Headless Horsemen"

 headlesshorseman copy  

Pamela’s Website: http://www.pamelahuntington.com/

Pamela’s Blog: http://pamelahuntington.typepad.com/

No comments: