Tuesday, March 1, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: On Dara DiMagno

 

IMG_6092

Faculty Name: Dara DiMagno
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Current Residence: Martinsburg, WV

Necessary Job: Elementary Teacher/Librarian

How long have you been doing art? ALWAYS

At what age did you begin creating and why?

3-4 years old. I had a love and fascination for office/stationary supplies…. markers, colored pencils, paper, pretty envelopes, paper clips, stickers….I would cut and paste and sticker and staple and draw all over the place.

What is your favorite part of teaching? Meeting people and seeing what they do with what they learn….everyone has their own style.

What do you find most challenging about teaching?

Getting all of my “heavy” supplies to wherever I am teaching. The airport people really don’t like anvils, and drills, metal bits and tools with sharp edges to go on the plane.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

What is “Spare Time”? Create more, think of new ideas, look for junk, every once in awhile sleep.

What is your favorite type of art medium?

That’s a difficult question….I like it all. I guess right now metal, vintage paper and vintage fabrics/trims.

Who is your favorite artist?

Wow tough questions!!!

Contemporary Artists: Laurie Meseroll, Paul Gordon, Gus Fink, Travis Louie, Jill Weiner, Leslie McCabe, Jody Battaglio, Deborah G. Rogers and Scott Smith.

Past: Remedios Varo, Leonora Carrington, Salvador Dali.

What is one interesting (trivial) fact that everyone should know about you? 

I love words and enjoy being a storyteller…that is my favorite part of my “real” job.

Attach your favorite image and detail why it is your favorite.

This is a photo of my most original creations…taken a few years ago when they were oh still so sweet.

clip_image002

Find Dara @ Earth Angels or here

No comments: