Tuesday, March 15, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: On Pam Carriker

 

contact me

Faculty Name: Pam Carriker
Birthplace: Longview, WA
Current Residence: Springfield, MO
Necessary Job: SAHM (stay at home mom)

How long have you been doing art? My whole life, I don't remember a time when I wasn't creating something.

At what age did you begin creating and why? I only have memories of creating things, it's always been a part of who I am. I made some awesome cardboard Barbie houses complete with furniture and curtains long before Barbies Dream House was available:-)

What is your favorite part of teaching?
Seeing someone create something they didn't think they could. When they are proud of what they made I feel I did my job.

What do you find most challenging about teaching? Making sure the occasional 'quiet' students get their share of attention without making them uncomfortable.  I like to walk around and look at everyone's work and I'm always conscious of trying not to make someone uncomfortable if they aren't wanting to share what they made, but do try to encourage them to do so. I want so badly for everyone to leave class feeling confident in the new skills they've learned and feel ready to go and improve on them!

What do you like to do in your spare time? Right now I'm not even sure what spare time means-lol! I love to sketch, read, cook, garden, and travel.

What is your favorite type of art medium? This is a hard question, but if I had to pick just one thing it would be a simple pencil, as this is where my art begins its journey.

Who is your favorite artist? Modigliani and Da Vinci, sorry I can't really pick one over the other, they both inspire me for different reasons.

What is one interesting (trivial) fact that everyone should know about you?  I have a compulsion to be on time, I hate making people wait on me so I usually get where I need to be with time to spare.

Attach your favorite image and detail why it is your favorite.  I just love how simple, yet detailed these sketches of Da Vinci are. They embody the essence of femininity and grace, and make me strive to capture even a thimble full of this in my own work.

portrait4

Artist, Instructor, & Author
Art at the Speed of Life: Motivation + Inspiration for Creating Mixed-Media Art Every Day
(Interweave Press February 2011)
Newsletter
Follow Me on Facebook and Twitter

No comments: