Sunday, March 13, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: On Diane Russell-Horn

Di Russell-Horn Bio Picture (2)

Faculty Name:  Di Russell-Horn 

Birthplace: Rochester, NY

Current Residence:  Fairport, NY

Necessary Job:  Office Manger of three local Hearing Aid Offices for a national company.

How long have you been doing art?  Since high school, 30+++ years

At what age did you begin creating and why?   I felt a need to use my hands and started to do sculpture and throw clay on a wheel.  Then I started making "crafts" and creating from there.  It wasn't until my 30's that I went full scale into art and realized that I was an artist and very right brained.  I had always felt that there was something wrong with me because although I got excellent grades in school, I had no desire or passion for science, or mathematics or any school subject.   When I realized that "it was ok not to be as left brained"  it opened a whole new world for me to embrace, it was fantastic.

What is your favorite part of teaching?  Watching my student's creativity blossom.  For some,it's an "ah ha!" moment, for some it's a gradual process throughout  a workshop.  I just love helping them realize their potential, especially when they think that a new technique is out of their reach.  I love sharing all that I know with others, it's so wonderful.  Then to watch students take that knowledge to new heights,  is so rewarding. 

What do you find most challenging about teaching?  The most challenging part of teaching is summing up at the beginning of class, what level all the different students are at and how to meet the needs of everyone individually  in the class.  You will always have green beginners to more advanced students.  What I try and do is teach the material and then spend as much time as I can working individually with each student.  If someone is more accomplished, I still want to give them the same attention I would give a beginner but just take them to a level beyond what they came into class with.  I feel very strongly about students leaving the workshop, knowing more than when they started the workshop.

What do you like to do in your spare time?  Do you mean besides art??  Because that is my favorite thing to do.  I also enjoy reading, knitting or crocheting, meditating and yoga. and hanging out with family and friends. 

What is your favorite type of art medium?  Wow, that a tough one.  It would have to be  altered books and journals.  I have made altered books for ages and I love the fact that you can use every type of medium in an altered book.  I also love to journal so incorporating the two is both fun and very portable.  I always have a glue stick and a permanent marker in my purse and an altered journal or book with me.  I've actually stood at restaurants waiting for a table, with glue stick and book in hand, adding things from the restaurant to a page. 

Who is your favorite artist?  Dale Chihuly.  He is a hot glass artist and unbelievably talented.  I love flame work and glass blowing (good thing I'm only a few hours from Corning Glass ) and I saw an exhibit of his Sea Forms years ago and fell in love with glass.  His vision is brilliant, especially given the fact that he only has one eye. 
What is one interesting (trivial) fact that everyone should know about you?  Mmmm, I am of Italian descent and very proud of being Italian.  My grandfather came over from Naples, where  my grandmother is from as well.  I take great pride in my heritage and have passed on traditions, recipes, etc to my son Brian and my nieces and nephew. 

Attach your favorite image and detail why it is your favorite.     Ok, so I cheated, I attached two.  The first is entitled "The whole Fam Damily", it is a picture of our family taken in Denver, Co. this past Sept for my niece/goddaughter's wedding.  Thirtyfive of our family and friends made the journey to Denver for the wedding.  The reason it is my favorite is because family and friends are the most important thing to me. 

The whole fam damily

Sunrise OC July 2010

Diane Russell-Horn

Sixth Floor Designs

Hand Crafted Jewelry, Fiber Arts & Altered Arts

www.SixthFloorDesigns.com
http://www.sixthfloordesigns.blogspot.com/

No comments: