Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: On Stephanie Lee

 

Faculty Name: Stephanie Lee

Birthplace: Brigham City, Utah

Current Residence: Rogue River, OR

Necessary Job: As far as financially necessary, I stay busy caring for the man who has the main bill-paying job. Spiritually necessary? Momming and this art life I lead.

How long have you been doing art? I’ve been doing art professionally for about 10 years on some level or another but, as most artists do, I’ve made stuff all my life.

At what age did you begin creating and why? As part of an industrious family ethic, I have always first turned to making what I need or want before buying. The downside is not often being satisfied by what the mass produced purchasing options are when I know I can make something look more like I want it and be of a higher quality of craftsmanship.

What is your favorite part of teaching? When my make-do-figure-it-out-as-I-go approach causes someone to feel a little less uptight about perfection – however accomplished or novice an artist they may be.

What do you find most challenging about teaching? My own hangups. J Seriously, I am most challenged by my tendency to procrastinate. That is the home-front aspect of teaching. Once I’m in the classroom and I know I’ve done all the work to prepare (even if pushing the last minute) I’m totally fine.

What do you like to do in your spare time? Dig in the dirt and grow anything and everything I can – especially if we can eat it. And clean my house and organize the neglected nooks and crannies.

What is your favorite type of art medium? To do or to view? Gosh…I love it all, I think. I love working with plaster more than any other medium I’ve explored personally in depth but I love viewing art made from natural materials that is functional as well – like ginormous stick nest tree houses big enough to camp out in and little cob huts and walls made from stacked wood.

Who is your favorite artist? I don’t have a single favorite artist and I’ve noticed that I have a strong tendency to like or dislike the work of an artist more as I learn about their character as human beings. I love work that is made by deep thinking individuals who just do what they love to do, are encouraging of all art and artists and who know how to laugh at themselves full on. Their work usually feels like brilliance to me.

What is one interesting (trivial) fact that everyone should know about you?  uuuuhhhh…this is the kind of question I should ask a friend about because I’m really good at not being able to see many interesting facts about myself. I just yam what I yam. Hmm…well, there’s that part of me that daydreams about living a homestead/survivalist life, and then there’s that thing about me writing (as story where a girl chases cacti in the moonlight, guards her Mexican desert garden with a sligshot so’s the hawks don’t eat her family’s sustenance) and practices invisibility when the lecherous gazes of the village men shift in her direction… Whoa. I’ve said too much.

Attach your favorite image and detail why it is your favorite. This is my family….my center of gravity.

Lee Family

Stephanie’s Blog: http://www.stephanielee.typepad.com/

1 comment:

Jodi Ohl said...

I love your style & personality Stephanie! Looking forward to meeting you at the East Coast retreat!