Wednesday, January 26, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: On Laurie Meseroll

MESEROLL
Faculty Name: Laurie Shuran Meseroll
Birthplace: Marysville, Oh
Current Residence: Columbus, Oh
Necessary Job: uhhh...was I supposed to grow up and get a job? I had a feeling I forgot something.
How long have you been doing art? 48 years
At what age did you begin creating and why?
I began entering competitions at age 3. I was forced into art to keep me quiet and out of trouble.
What is your favorite part of teaching?
Meeting new people and getting together with old friends is the only thing that motivates me these days. I am not the sort of artist that likes to work in solitude--the bigger the audience, the more that's fun. Creativity is just naturally contagious.
What do you find most challenging about teaching?
Keeping track of class rosters can be a nightmare when there are so many people stopping in to take a look that just decide to stay. It's so nice to know the Sal will take care of all that and just let me do what I do best and that everyone understands that without anyone having to explain it. The whole Art-Is experience seems very organic and well-managed.
What do you like to do in your spare time?
Oh, am I supposed to have spare time? Geez! Someone send me a memo! Seriously, I am exceptional cook, but that's not like a hobby. I have a huge family and these kids like to seriously eat!
What is your favorite type of art medium?
Flat, white latex paint because it's so versatile. It's like the chicken stock of hand-blending.
Who is your favorite artist?
Beatrice Wood is my role model.
What is one interesting (trivial) fact that everyone should know about you?
I have very cute feet.
Attach your favorite image and detail why it is your favorite… Editor’s Note: Laurie didn’t see this last question (probably looking down at her feet).  So I attach an image that is a favorite amongst us – her friends.  The joy we all feel about our Laurie and this image of the Grand Knitting Mermaid, can be found in the blog post written by Loretta Benedetto Marvel – click on the image to read about a special moment in time.
image
http://www.folkart.typepad.com/
Laurie is an Earth Angel

No comments: