Monday, January 24, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: On Judy Wise

KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA

Faculty Name:  Judy Wise

Birthplace: Illinois, USA

Current Residence: Oregon, USA

Necessary Job: none

How long have you been doing art?
Since the 5th grade; have always self identified as an artist

At what age did you begin creating and why?
I have sketch books and written diaries going back to when I was 7 years old. I think it was because I was introverted and in a family that didn't understand me. Mother was ill a lot with migraines and father was always gone. It was my escape; drawing and making up stories.

What is your favorite part of teaching?
Seeing the light go on in someone's eyes when they do something they thought they couldn't do. When they realize they can improve and grow and please themselves with their discoveries. When they reach in deep and pull out something surprising and wonderful. Then both of us are happy.

What do you find most challenging about teaching?
That so many of us in this culture think that others are creative but not ourselves. And people who judge their work harshly instead of being gentle with their emerging abilities. I find it a challenge to break through those mind sets to offer another perspective.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
That's easy. paint. create. make things.

What is your favorite type of art medium?
I am currently passionate about encaustic and my work is getting more abstract. I like anything layered and aged, especially paper. But then there is plaster, acrylic paint and textile. I like things that you can touch that are seductively beautiful like rust, old plaster walls and wire. It comes down to mixed media I suppose. Playing all the octaves available to us.

Who is your favorite artist?
Oh goodness, there are so many. I'll choose Marcia Meyers just to name one but really, I love almost everything created out of curiosity or passion. We are all so different and so excellent.

What is one interesting (trivial) fact that everyone should know about you?
This is probably my last year teaching at retreats because I lost much of my voice in an operation last year and I'm getting on in age. I say it with much regret; I love teaching, but life is all about change and acceptance.

Attach your favorite image and detail why it is your favorite.

This is one I did a couple of months ago. I like it because it it how I feel in the winter; huddled with another in the warmth of mutual affection under a cold sky. Issues of safety, privacy and security are apparent to me in this small recent painting.

95@bluenights

http://judywise.blogspot.com/

No comments: