Tuesday, April 5, 2011

SPOTLIGHT ON: Sidney Sward

 

SWARD

Faculty Name:  Lynne Sward
Birthplace:  Chicago, Illinois (conceived in San Francisco according to my late mom)
Current Residence: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Necessary Job:  that would be jobs,  Wife, Mother, Artist (I don't consider these to be jobs and I work cheap!)

How long have you been doing art? 
Since I was 2 when I crinkled up onion skins because I like the texture and noise

At what age did you begin creating and why? 
When I was in grades 1 - 7  (that would be elementary school) I drew illustrations in the margins of green lined papers that contained English compositions .  I loved learning script because of the repetitive penmanship strokes.  I also was the only one in my class that would draw on that green-lined paper.  I liked that.

What is your favorite part of teaching?
the fabulous talents shown in sharing at the end of class and seeing the "results" of my information sharing .  I'm always amazed at what my students create.  I may be teaching them, but for sure, I'm learning so much from my students.  It's my pleasure and a privilege to teach.

What do you find most challenging about teaching? 
Preparing the materials list I bring to my classes and I use in the demonstrations.  I hate forgetting things, so I do an extensive "check" list.

What do you like to do in your spare time? I am an H20 addict 5 times a week early in the morning before I do anything else.( I'm talking about cardio workout in the Y pool.)
What is your favorite type of art medium?  Fabrics, threads, beads, interesting papers

Who is your favorite artist?  Can I have three?  Frida Kahlo, Picasso, Andy Goldsworthy and so many more.

What is one interesting (trivial) fact that everyone should know about you?  I'm outgoing, and I  have tremendous empathy and patience and a sense of humor.

Attach your favorite image and detail why it is your favorite.  I don't have a clue as to "how" to do that. but if you can find one, I'm absolutely nuts for sunsets!!!!!!!

image

(An Antarctica Sunset…courtesy of Betti Zucker)

No comments: