Tuesday, April 19, 2011

SPOTLIGHT ON: Kathleen Nesi

NESI A (2)
Faculty Name: Kathleen Nesi
Birthplace: Portsmouth, NH
Current Residence: Pelham Manor, NY
Necessary Job:  pre-school art teacher
How long have you been doing art?
my entire life. 
At what age did you begin creating and why?
From as early on as i can remember.  When I was a child, creativity was the name of the game.  We (my siblings, the neighborhood kids and I) were sent outside to play.  Outdoors was the canvas.  We would build forts, tree houses, bike trails, sledding luges, you name it.  We would be creative and make adventures out of everything!  Time I spent with my father was spent observing nature.  I learned patience and photography from him.   Indoors, my mother and grandmother would always be doing something with their hands and always encouraged us to join in.  I learned to sew at a young age, my first project was an apron.  Many times all our Christmas presents would be things we made and that was the fun of it! 
What is your favorite part of teaching? 
Meeting, talking and learning from my students. everyone has a story to tell. 

What do you find most challenging about teaching?
Paperwork!  ugh! I HATE it!!!!

What do you like to do in your spare time?
I don't have much, but when I do I like to go for a run or cuddle with my dogs and watch old movies.

What is your favorite type of art medium?
Painting.  Any kind of painting.
Who is your favorite artist? 
This is a tough one.  Currently I'm into Klimt, Matisse, Mucha and Lyendecker, but if i had to pick just one master, I'd have to go with daVinci...just for the shear genius of the man!
What is one interesting (trivial) fact that everyone should know about you? I'm a Mets fan
Attach your favorite image and detail why it is your favorite.
I love this image, it is a detail from daVinci's Virgin of the Rocks.  The way the light is hitting the angels face and the fact that it is a 3/4 face is so beautiful and peaceful to me.  I also admire the attention to detail, especially given the tools and conditions of the time period.
the-virgin-of-the-rocks

2 comments:

NANCY LEFKO said...

Great to learn more about you, Kathy! See you in October :)

Unknown said...

So looking forward to doing your clas..and that da Vinci picture is amazing x