Sunday, January 30, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: On Laurel Steven

STEVEN
Faculty Name:  Laurel Steven

Birthplace:
Cleveland, Ohio

Current Residence:
I grew up in Santa Barbara, CA, but have been living in Hollywood since the late '70's.
Necessary Job:  Executive Assistant
How long have you been doing art? I played around with lots of things here and there in my life, but once my singing career ended, I became more serious about art.

At what age did you begin creating and why? The first things I remember creating were Barbie doll clothes. And I sang practically since I was able to speak.
What is your favorite part of teaching? I love seeing what beautiful things the students create. I also love being able to just give a little tip, and see the "aha" light go on in the student's eyes!

What do you find most challenging about teaching?  Getting the words to come out of my mouth anywhere near as fast as they're going through my mind without garbling them on the way!

What do you like to do in your spare time? More art! I like to knit, build books and boxes, create digital art, and do mixed media projects and swaps with friends.

What is your favorite type of art medium? Polymer clay - the most magical medium!
Who is your favorite artist? For polymer, Kathleen Dustin and Donna Kato.
What is one interesting (trivial) fact that everyone should know about you? When I first came to Los Angeles, I worked with a cirque-type group, and learned to walk tightrope!
Attach your favorite image and detail why it is your favorite. I took this photo at The Grotto in Portland, OR, on my first trip there in 2006.  All the trees, all the green, and the path leading forward just fill me with joy and the sense of unlimited possibilities.
10 Grotto
Laurel’s Blog: http://www.laurelsteven.blogspot.com/

No comments: