Monday, February 7, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: On Serena Barton

BARTON
Faculty Name:
Serena Barton

Birthplace:
Portland, Oregon

Current Residence:
Portland Oregon

Necessary Job:  Licensed Professional Counselor, artist, art instructor, Portland State University instructor on "Women, Creativity, and Healing.
How long have you been doing art? Always have done some form of art, including many years of theater.

At what age did you begin creating and why? As early as I can remember. Because it gives me joy.
What is your favorite part of teaching? Seeing students move through blocks and reach a new level of creativity.

What do you find most challenging about teaching?
I love it all--really!

What do you like to do in your spare time? Make art, read, hang out with family and friends

What is your favorite type of art medium? Painting, Mixed Media, Collage
Who is your favorite artist? Artemisia Gentileschi, Edouard Manet, Joseph Cornell, and many more...

What is one interesting (trivial) fact that everyone should know about you?  I won a teddy bear in the Children's Parade in Eugene, Oregon for my hand painted tricycle float. I was four years old.
Attach your favorite image and detail why it is your favorite. This is one of my favorites of my oil paintings. It evokes the mystery and beauty of Italian art. It's called "Teatro dei Assassini" after a dark, mysterious street in Venice.

assassini
Serena’s Website: http://www.serenabarton.com/index.php

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to meeting you Serena! I really love this piece of artwork.
Pam

Serena Barton said...

Thanks, Pam!