Thursday, January 20, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: On Pam Carriker

contact me

Faculty Name: Pam Carriker

Birthplace: Longview, WA

Current Residence: Springfield, MO

Necessary Job: SAHM (stay at home mom)

How long have you been doing art?
As long as I can remember right back to my first box of crayons I was hooked!

At what age did you begin creating and why?
I began creating art as a hobby/job when I was in my mid 20's. I wanted to find a way to pay for my supplies so I wouldn't be dipping into the household budget to buy paints, stamps and paper. I started selling tole painting at a shop, then moved on to sell scrapbooks supplies and teach workshops, from there I created paper bag albums and sold them on eBay, all to fund my need for more supplies!

What is your favorite part of teaching?
Watching someone's face when they create something they thought was beyond their capabilities. Sharing the 'how' of making art is every bit as enjoyable as creating art. Whether it's through writing, videos, or teaching in person, giving someone new tools to use in their own art journey is a joyous thing!

What do you find most challenging about teaching?
Making sure that those who are maybe a bit more intimidated walk away with newfound confidence. It's easy to see what the more outgoing students are doing and share their experience, but you also need to keep an eye out for the quieter ones and make sure they're getting what they need as well.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
What spare time lol?! I cram every extra minute of my day with art in some form, but I do also enjoy cooking, gardening, traveling and reading.

What is your favorite type of art medium?
Art Journaling

Who is your favorite artist?
It changes frequently, right now I'm really into sketching and DaVinci is inspiring me

What is one interesting (trivial) fact that everyone should know about you? 
That I have curly (very curly) hair and I straighten it

Attach your favorite image and detail why it is your favorite.

SpotLight Pam

I  attached my most recent sketch, done today. I've been sketching with Conte Crayon and graphite for awhile now and love to spend time each day doing something using simple tools.  I usually like the thing I've just done best because I see growth and it makes me itch to move on to the next thing.


Artist, Instructor, & Author
Art at the Speed of Life: Motivation + Inspiration for Creating Mixed-Media Art Every Day
(Interweave Press February 2011)
Follow Me on Facebook and Twitter

No comments: